Selected as a Youth Tour delegate? *high five and fist bump* … now here is some good information to prepare you for your trip of a lifetime.
You and 71 other students will be representing Oklahoma and Oklahoma’s electric cooperatives for a whole week in Washington, D.C. We take pride in being a respectful group to all people, monuments, museums and historical sites visit.
While on Youth Tour, all transportation, meals, admissions to events/tours, and lodging will be arranged and paid for you. Again … we emphasize … ALL EXPENSES PAID thanks to your local electric cooperative!
You might be wondering … How will I fit ALL of my new summer outfits in one bag or how can I fit enough clothes for 7 days?! Well … we have a solution for that, too! Each day, we provide our Youth Tour students a shirt for EACH DAY! That includes a polo for our “Capitol Hill” day, as well as a back pack filled with most supplies you will need!
What Should YOU Pack?
You’ll need clothing (besides shirts) for 7 days. Plan for warm weather (Washington, D.C., is typically 80-90 degrees and very humid during the day). We will provide students with ponchos in case of rain.
- Nice shorts, jeans, skirts, capris
- For the day on Capitol Hill, please bring a pair of nice dress pants or skirt.
- SHOES: we walk a lot … no we mean like over 20,000 steps a day A LOT … so please bring shoes you are comfortable walking long distance in. We recommend a nice tennis shoe or even comfortable sandal.
Dress code “NOs”
- Super short skirts or shorts (might need to specify length)
- Torn off/frayed cut-offs
- You will have the opportunity to buy souvenirs from various shops … while you may purchase whatever you like, you will not be allowed to wear any political clothing/accessories during Youth Tour. (might need to beef this up?)
Oher Packing Needs
- Jacket or sweatshirt
- Toiletries (travel size encouraged!)
- Pajamas, underwear and extra socks
- Books or magazines to read on airplane
- Headphones/earbuds if you plan to listen to music during our travel days
- Phone chargers
How to Pack
You are allowed ONE suitcase/duffel bag in addition to a small purse (10×10)
Your suitcase/duffel bag cannot weigh more than 50 ibs. and must not be greater than 62 linear inches (length+width+height). Be sure to leave room/weight for any items you may purchase while on Youth Tour.
How We Will Travel
We will be flying Southwest Airlines to and from Washington D.C. While in D.C., we will have two charter buses taking us on daily destinations.
Phones & Mobile Devices
We want you to capture, boomerang, selfie, TikTok as many memories as possible on this trip! But we also want you to take it all in … without a phone in front of your face. We may tell you to snap a quick pic and then put your phone away so you can really live in the moment.
Rules of the road
You will sign this form at orientation. Please preview the expectations and be prepared to discuss. Expectations Preview